ULSTER REFORM CLUB

Established 1885

  1. Home
  2. The Club
  3. Heritage Timeline

Heritage Timeline

A synopsis of important events in the history of Ulster Reform Club.

Belfast city centre circa 1880

1880

Planning for the future

A plan is formulated by a group of Ulster Liberals to build the Ulster Reform Club.

The Ulster Reform Club on Royal Avenue Belfast

1885

Open for business

The Club opens its doors.

1890

Let there be light

Electric lighting is introduced to the Club building.

The Reading Room

1923

A sound investment

A ‘listening wireless set’ is installed in the club library.

1953

A new beginning

Merger of the Union Club (formed in 1837) and Ulster Club (formed in 1857).

The exterior of the Ulster Reform Club on Royal Avenue

1955

The only way is up

A lift is installed in club and inaugurated by the President.

1982

One of a kind

Ulster Club merged with Ulster Reform Club.

1994

Ladies & Gentlemen

Lady members admitted to the club for the first time in its history.

2002

The digital age

The first version of the Ulster Reform Club website launches.

Mrs Maura Riordan

2005

Changing times

Mrs Maura Riordan is elected as the first ever lady president of the club.

The Ulster Reform Club – Past and Present

2009

Going down in history

The Ulster Reform Club ‘Past and Present’ is published detailing the history of the club from 1885.